Four lesson plans have been developed by CIVIX to guide teachers through the 2020 Student Budget Consultation. The lessons are designed to increase knowledge about Canadian government and public finances, encourage political debate and dialogue, foster a sense of civic duty, and develop critical thinking and decision making skills.
These activities are linked to a wide variety of subject areas, including: citizenship education, social studies and government, personal finance, economics, current affairs and media literacy.
Using the suggested activities and teaching tools, teachers are encouraged to spend 2 to 4 classes covering the content and participating in the Student Budget Consultation.
Lesson 1: Budgeting
- Lesson 1: Budgeting [PDF]
- Activity 1.1: Budgeting – KWL Chart [PDF] [Word]
- Activity 1.2: School Fair Budget Plan [PDF] [Word]
- Handout 1.3: Expense Cheat Sheet [PDF]
- Activity 1.4: Personal Budget Plan [PDF] [Word]
- Handout 1.5: Financial Profiles [PDF]
Lesson 2: The Federal Government’s Budget
- Lesson 2: The Federal Government’s Budget [PDF]
- Video: ‘Introduction to the 2020 Student Budget Consultation’ [YouTube]
- Videos: ‘Budget Basics’ series [Budget Basics]
- Slide Deck A: Budget Basics [PowerPoint]
- Slide Deck B: Expenditures [PowerPoint]
- Slide Deck C: Revenues [PowerPoint]
- Slide Deck D: 2019 Federal Budget Breakdown [PowerPoint]
- Handout 2.1: Federal Budget Terminology [PDF]
- Activity 2.2: Budget Vocab List [PDF] [Word]
- Handout 2.3: Budget 2019 Breakdown [PDF]
- Activity 2.4: 3-2-1 Exit Card [PDF] [Word]
- Activity 2.5: Case Study [PDF] [Word]
Lesson 3: Political Perspectives
- Lesson 3: Political Perspectives [PDF]
- Slide Deck E: The Political Spectrum [PowerPoint]
- Handout 3.1: Liberal Party Platform (Fiscal Plan) [PDF]
- Activity 3.2: Your Analysis [PDF] [Word]
- Handout 3.3: Opposition Party Proposals [PDF]
- Activity 3.4: Analyzing Commentary [PDF] [Word]
Lesson 4: Our Voice, Our Democracy
- COMING SOON
Please note: Paper copies of the survey are available on request. Please contact CIVIX at 1-866-488-8775 or by email at email@example.com and they will be sent as soon as possible.