Three lesson plans have been developed to guide teachers through the Student Budget Consultation. The lessons are designed to increase knowledge about Canadian government and public finances, encourage political debate and dialogue, foster a sense of civic duty, and develop critical thinking and decision making skills.
These activities are linked to a wide variety of subject areas, including: citizenship education, social studies and government, personal finance, economics, current affairs and media literacy.
Using the suggested activities and teaching tools, teachers are encouraged to spend 2 to 4 classes covering the content and participating in the consultation.
Lesson 1: Budget Basics
- Lesson 1: Budget Basics [PDF]
- Activity Sheet 1.1: Personal Budget Plan [PDF] [Word]
- Handout 1.2: Financial Profiles [PDF]
- Handout 1.3: Expense Cheat Sheet [PDF]
- Activity Sheet 1.4: Budget Basics [PDF] [Word]
- Video: Introduction to the Student Budget Consultation [YouTube]
- Budget Basics videos [BUDGET BASICS]
- Slide Deck A: Budget Basics [PPT]
- Slide Deck B: The Federal Government’s Expenditures [PPT]
- Slide Deck C: The Federal Government’s Revenues [PPT]
Lesson 2: Budget Breakdown and Key Issues
- Lesson 2: Budget Breakdown and Key Issues [PDF]
- Activity Sheet 2.1: My Federal Budget [PDF] [Word]
- Activity Sheet 2.2: Examining the Issues [PDF] [Word]
- Slide Deck D: 2017 Federal Budget Projections [PPT]
- Slide Deck E: International Comparisons [PPT]
- 2017 Student Budget Consultation Results [PDF]
- Youth Voices videos [YOUTH VOICES]