Three lesson plans have been developed by CIVIX to guide teachers through the 2019 Student Budget Consultation. The lessons are designed to increase knowledge about Canadian government and public finances, encourage political debate and dialogue, foster a sense of civic duty, and develop critical thinking and decision making skills.
These activities are linked to a wide variety of subject areas, including: citizenship education, social studies and government, personal finance, economics, current affairs and media literacy.
Using the suggested activities and teaching tools, teachers are encouraged to spend 2 to 4 classes covering the content and participating in the consultation.
Lesson 1: Budget Basics
- Lesson 1: Budget Basics [PDF]
- Activity 1.1: Personal Budget Plan [PDF] [Word]
- Handout 1.2: Financial Profiles [PDF]
- Handout 1.3: Expense Cheat Sheet [PDF]
- Activity 1.4: Budget Basics [PDF] [Word]
- Activity 1.5: 3-2-1 Exit Card [PDF] [Word]
- Video: ‘Introduction to the 2019 Student Budget Consultation’ [YouTube]
- Budget Basics videos [BUDGET BASICS]
- Slide Deck A: Budget Basics [PPT]
- Slide Deck B: The Federal Government’s Expenditures [PPT]
- Slide Deck C: The Federal Government’s Revenues [PPT]
Lesson 2: Budget Breakdown & Key Issues
- Lesson 2: Budget Breakdown and Key Issues [PDF]
- Activity 2.1: My Federal Budget [PDF] [Word]
- Activity 2.2: Examining the Issues [PDF] [Word]
- Slide Deck D: 2018 Federal Budget Breakdown [PPT]
- Slide Deck E: International Comparisons [PPT]
- 2018 Student Budget Consultation Results [2018 RESULTS]
- Youth Voices videos [YOUTH VOICES]
Lesson 3: Political Perspectives & Budget Priorities
- Lesson 3: Political Perspectives and Budget Priorities [PDF]
- Activity 3.1: Both Sides Now [PDF] [Word]
- Activity 3.2: Reviewing Party Positions (Canada version) [PDF] [Word]
- Activity 3.2: Reviewing Party Positions (Quebec version) [PDF] [Word]
- Activity 3.3: Graphic Organizer [PDF] [Word]
- Slide Deck F: The Political Spectrum [PPT]
- Party Perspectives videos [PARTY PERSPECTIVES]
- Student Budget Consultation Survey [ONLINE] [PDF]
Please note: Paper copies of the survey are available on request. Please contact CIVIX at 1-866-488-8775 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be sent within a few days.